Milton Keynes Dons 2-1 Cardiff- Match Report

Josh Murphy marks Dons debut with extra-time winnerJosh Murphy marked his MK Dons debut with the winner but they needed extra-time before eventually overcoming Cardiff 2-1 in the second round of the Capital One Cup.The Dons came from behind for the second time in a row in this season's competition and they now have the prospect of a money-spinning tie against one of the big boys next month.After controlling large periods of normal time, the Bluebirds were denied by a late equaliser by Carl Baker before Murphy's scrappy goal in the 108th minute finally decided the contest.Cardiff were forced into an alteration just before kick-off as Joe Ralls replaced the injured Aron Gunnarsson with both sides having already rung the changes from their previous games.It did not affect the Bluebirds too badly as they began brightly and Bruno Manga almost put them ahead when his downward header from Craig Noone's corner was cleared off the line by Kyle McFadzean.Less than a minute later, a long ball picked out Eoin Doyle, who brought it down well before his shot across goal was pushed out by Dons goalkeeper Cody Cropper.Then followed a lull where both teams found it difficult to string a few passes together, one which Cardiff thankfully brought to an end by coming close again.Noone's cross from the right was headed down by Doyle into the path of Stuart O'Keefe with Cropper doing well to deny him with his legs.Despite the visitors being comfortably the better side, the first half finished goalless with MK Dons glad of the respite after failing to get going.Cardiff continued to control proceedings after the restart and broke the deadlock in the 54th minute as Noone's cross was superbly volleyed into the top corner at the back post by Alex Revell.Doyle almost doubled the Bluebirds' lead four minutes later when he rose well to meet another good ball in by Noone but his header drifted not too far wide.MK Dons equalised with 11 minutes of normal time left as Simon Moore denied Rob Hall from close range from Murphy's cut-back only for Baker to slam the rebound into the roof of the net.The hosts were now finally on top and almost ensured there was no need for extra-time as McFadzean's header from Hall's corner was nodded off the line by Federico Macheda.But an extra half an hour was needed to separate the sides and the Dons were to eventually take the lead three minutes into the second period.Samir Carruthers got in behind down the right and his low cross ricocheted around the Cardiff six-yard box before Murphy smashed the ball in from close range after Simon Moore pushed it into his path

Source : PA

Source: PA